Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Is the glass half full or half empty?

Today, Holly and I met with Dr. Lipson, Grace's Geneticist. It was a meeting we've both been looking forward to and dreading all at the same time. With all of her genetics testing finally done it was time to sit down and go through everything.

The first thing he did was hand us a sheet of paper with every test that was done. I have to admit, it was quite impressive. Most of the completed tests said the same thing, "no mutation found." Even so, there were still a lot of tests that weren't done due to a lack of blood and urine. He's been in touch with a couple of the labs to see if there is any blood remaining. If so, we might run some of those tests or send the samples off to researchers I'd been working with.

Because no root of the EMEE was found it's really anyone's guess to what brought it on. It could be Idiopathic, which Webster's defines as relating to or denoting any disease or condition that arises spontaneously or for which the cause is unknown. But most likely the origins of her disease was a recessive gene in Holly and I. What this means is if we have another child there is a 1 in 4 chance he or she would have the same thing. As you can imagine, this has been just heartbreaking news to us.

I guess that's where you have to ask yourself, are you a "the glass is half full or half empty" type of person. This is where Holly and I are right now. I view it as a 25% chance we could have a baby with the same disease and Holly sees it as a 75% chance we'd have a normal baby. So as you can see, we view the odds quite differently.

It will take time to deal with this impasse between us. I'm sure Holly will write her own post on how she's feeling right now too. But for now I wanted to share where we are at this time. I know there will be many more conversations between us. I hope we can find some peace and direction for our future.

1 comment:

  1. Thinking of you both and praying you will find an answer.